Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Emerald City Comicon

I was so excited! I've never been to a Comicon before! Well, despite the advertisement and big stars they had attending, the whole thing seemed rather... deflated. I was expecting it to be this HUGE event. I was afraid I wasn't going to have enough business cards and that everyone would be WAY too busy to review my portfolio. I was afraid that it was going to be quadruple the size of Megacon and that I wasn't going to be able to see everything. Well, that was not the case. There were 3 legit companies: Wacom, Microsoft and some... comic adventure something or rather. There were some great artists and decent panels (none of which I was around in time for) and though it wasn't what I expected, I also can't say that I didn't enjoy myself. I met a few people, handed out a few cards, and just got to be my nerdy self.The highlight of the event was getting a guy's number (maybe I'll actually have some friends in Seattle!) and meeting Mr. Leonard Nimoy!!! Okay, since it was a convention, it's not that impressive, but he was everything I expected him to be. I got to shake his hand, which he has a substantial grip (thank goodness, otherwise it would have shattered my vision of him- you know, when people you respect have really whimpy handshakes? bummer) and he was super polite. I mentioned that he must hate doing these conventions, he chuckled, I thanked him and told him that it meant a lot to me since I'm a "new" Star Trek fan, he smiled a bit and then told me to give his regards to Cathy, the aunt I had him sign the picture for. I've never stood in line for an autograph before, but it was worth it. Cathy was ecstatic when I revealed the picture to her, since I texted her earlier that the line was a mile long (she assumed that it wouldn't happen). She's really done a lot for me, so it was the least I could do.
Also, I heard Jhonen Vasquez was there. I used to be like all those other brooding goth teens who wanted to jump his bones, but I'm so over it. Unlike Nimoy & Wil Wheaton, JV was back in a room where you couldn't just see him if you walked by. You had to be paying for an autograph to even see him... so I said "no thanks" and went to Nimoy.
Other than that, I know it's been awhile since I've posted and not a WHOLE lot has been going on. I've been applying for jobs and just getting used to Seattle.
I have been working on some stuff... Nothing is fantastic. I can't seem to keep my concentration... Oh well, only one way to get past that.
I made these cards for my Mom's birthday. She's been asking for personalized note cards for probably 2 years now, and I finally did it. Her birthday was the 14th, so I can post them now.
No, the words aren't in there, but the compilation looked really weird with 4 blank bubbles!

I should have more art coming soon. I've been invited to do a runway fashion show with (literal) trash to promote reusable materials and what not. I'll post some pictures when I get more into that!

No comments: